Skip to main content

GO Gracie GO!

     So, I know this kid. Her name is Grace.  She is a very funny kid. Wise beyond her years. Seriously.  Darren and I coached her in soccer a few years ago.  She would sit on the bench and make  us laugh. She was covert in a lot of her humor.  Dry and witty and lovingly cutting!  We grew to love this kid and to love her family too.  It's been a few years since that crazy indoor soccer season.  We still see Gracie once in a while and her family.  And even tho we may not see them much - we would consider them great friends.  Grace has hung up her soccer cleats.  Sports aren't her thing - they are her brothers thing.  Reading, writing - creative stuff is Graces' thing and not only does she like it - she's so good at it. 
     A short while ago I started to blog.  I love blogging - writing about randomness, stories, experiences, thoughts.  It's an outlet that I've craved and so appreciate now.  I saw Grace a couple months back and told her about my blog.  Now this is something Grace would like....and guess what, she did:  to the point that she is now an official blogger and has her own page.
(www.grace-wordnerd.blogspot.com) When I read her blog and saw that she mentioned me as helping her get motivated to write, I was stunned.   Me.  Loudmouthed little Marlea helped her.  I know, some may not think this a deal....but to me, it is.  I cried when I read her blog....because I meant something to her - what I had done....and I may be 36  - but to have a 12 year old think I am ok, was so awesome. 
     I am an enthusiastic person.  I love to share with people - about anything.  Sometimes the filter is clogged and I let out a wee bit too much...but thank goodness people are forgiving!  I want my kids to see my enthusiasm and try to enable them to do and try different things.  I want my kids to see me working hard at a goal and accomplishing it.  I want my kids to see me try different things.  I know, I know, I always order sweet and sour chicken when out for Thai food....some things just can't be changed...but I want my kids to appreciate the new, the scary, the different.  I think outside of the box a lot.  But thinking is one thing, doing is another.  I still struggle with the doing - I think everybody must. 
     Grace is only 12 and is already well ahead to a cool and interesting life because she is, well, first of all, a very cool kid.  But also because she is doing something different.  Challenging her self - against herself.  Putting something out there that is her, only her and I am so proud of her.   I know - you might be thinking, Relax Mar, it's just a blog.  But seriously, for me, it means so much more.  

Comments

  1. Thanks, Mar! Your blog really was the key for me to begin this cool awesome journey. But don't start crying again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of My Comfort Zone

I have a hard time believing I am ok.  I struggle with the acceptance that I can do things.  This, in return, halts me from branching out and doing some things that would challenge me and possibly make me more of a well-rounded and confident person.  I have confidence.  I know I am a good mom (most days).  I know I am a patient and kind wife (again, most days). But still, I lack in believing in myself.  Years ago I decided to do something for myself and enrolled in the night course at Humber College to do Interior Design.  I LOVED being back at school.  I was scared silly - but was so glad to be sitting in the back of a class room with my pen and paper in hand - ready to tackle hues, colours and shades!  I had a great year and did really well.  However, I went and got pregnant and had to quit school.  Doh!  I was good at the design thing....but deep down was probably happy to have to resign as my next course was drafting and th...

Don't get your Panties in a Bunch

Panties. Yes, I did say it.  Panties.  I hate them.  They are a source of a lot of discomfort for me.  No, I don't go commando.  I leave that to Sharon Stone.  Me, well, I think I have a different type of bum.  Since I was a little kid, I have always gotten wedgies.  My dad used to constantly ask me, "are you going to the movies?"....I truly did not get the joke until I was older and realized he was referring to me "picking my seat".  Badumbum!  Recently I have lost some weight and am having more pantie issues.  I wear tight exercise pants and now with less bum to fill the underwear, I am finding they bunch up at the sides giving me a crinkled look under my pants.  I am constantly pulling them up.  And these were the underwear that I liked.  It takes a lot for me to get underwear.  There are simply too many to choose from.  I hate shopping at the best of times and when it's time to get my underwear I am easi...

Being Honest

I love people.  I love having people over.  But since we moved into our wee house 6 years ago - I stopped having a lot of parties.  I shut down to having people over.  Was it pride? Probably some.  Was it embarrassment?  Maybe a little bit.  I live in a tiny house...but my real house is a 22,000 sq. foot warehouse in Mississauga that I visit occasionally.  We have had to sacrifice a lot to start our business and a big house was one of them.  I loved our older, larger houses....and I do like this house, it's just...well...small.  So last year I decided to get over my "small house shyness" and host a party.  I wanted to get to know the ladies that I see at my school lots and have built some cool friendships with.  Last years party was a Pajama Party theme. I sent out the invites and hoped for some cancellations as I couldn't nvision everyone fitting in my wee pad.  I was thrilled - to a degree, when 99% of the invites were a...