Skip to main content

A Date with Benefits

So, the day arrived - a day I have been looking forward to for weeks.  My Date with my Hairdresser.  His name is Alex.   He is happily married with 3 beautiful children.  But he is still one of my most favourite men.  I simply go in there - get my jacket hung for me, am offered beverages and then seated and asked, sincerely, how I am and what is new.  Alex got an earful this morning - but he is a good listener!  We have great banter, share ideas and sarcasm and although he's not my husband - he is still very special to me as he makes my hair shine! :)  My other date was with myself at the gym.  I enjoy sweating and feeling muscles twitch and shake as I push myself to lift more and lift it higher.  It is my time to myself.  A time to think of what's going on in my life right now, watch other people with idle curiosity, or plan my week- while listening to wicked tunes on my ipod.  No phones to answer, no kids to deal with (they are in the day care), nor a husband to help out.  I often feel like a completely spoiled housewife when I am working out.  Here I am, doing my thing, feeling good and then I have a moment of guilt as I know others are out there working their tails off-some in mundane jobs, thankless work, or even a cool job....and then I realize, heck, I work too....it's just different work.  It's all good.  Housewife is a category to check off the employment list too.  One person/thing I love more than my hairdresser (and husband and kids too sometimes) is my dog, Charlie.  She is my companion and best pal.  She is my snuggler and kisser.  She and I have dates on the couch just chatting and hanging out.  There isn't much I wouldn't do for that wee dog.   I had to clean up a winters worth of her dog doo out of the back yard this evening.  It was disgusting - but necessary.  As I was being super-pooper mom, I realized that my dates for myself today weren't really about me at all.  Yes, I do benefit from the hair and eyebrow wax, from the exercise and kid-free time, and from the shit-free yard....but at the end of the day - a day for me is really my gift to everyone else.  I go to the gym to lose weight, look good and feel great.  Result:  my kids get a mom who looks ok, they aren't embarrassed about me, I have energy to play with them, to run around with them to their activities, and I am in a better mood all around.  I can be a nice mom.  The hair cut makes me feel good about myself. Some may say that's shallow, but I bet they don't have good hair.  When I leave the hairdresser I feel confident and sexy.  The gray is all gone....I don't feel old and frumpy.  Darren, Kamrin, Mikka and Luci get a wife / mom who  is peppy and ready to help them with any task - thanks to another man! :)   And Charlie scores a yard with no khakha!  My patience grows as does my willingness to do for others when I focus on myself within reason.  So - a day for myself does benefit me, but it also a gift I can give to everyone else around me because I am healthy and happy and ready to GO!

Comments

  1. You are the best looking mom I know...you have it all Marlea and it is worth keeping it in shape!!......and I feel the very same way about Geri......love that lile dog!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of My Comfort Zone

I have a hard time believing I am ok.  I struggle with the acceptance that I can do things.  This, in return, halts me from branching out and doing some things that would challenge me and possibly make me more of a well-rounded and confident person.  I have confidence.  I know I am a good mom (most days).  I know I am a patient and kind wife (again, most days). But still, I lack in believing in myself.  Years ago I decided to do something for myself and enrolled in the night course at Humber College to do Interior Design.  I LOVED being back at school.  I was scared silly - but was so glad to be sitting in the back of a class room with my pen and paper in hand - ready to tackle hues, colours and shades!  I had a great year and did really well.  However, I went and got pregnant and had to quit school.  Doh!  I was good at the design thing....but deep down was probably happy to have to resign as my next course was drafting and th...

Don't get your Panties in a Bunch

Panties. Yes, I did say it.  Panties.  I hate them.  They are a source of a lot of discomfort for me.  No, I don't go commando.  I leave that to Sharon Stone.  Me, well, I think I have a different type of bum.  Since I was a little kid, I have always gotten wedgies.  My dad used to constantly ask me, "are you going to the movies?"....I truly did not get the joke until I was older and realized he was referring to me "picking my seat".  Badumbum!  Recently I have lost some weight and am having more pantie issues.  I wear tight exercise pants and now with less bum to fill the underwear, I am finding they bunch up at the sides giving me a crinkled look under my pants.  I am constantly pulling them up.  And these were the underwear that I liked.  It takes a lot for me to get underwear.  There are simply too many to choose from.  I hate shopping at the best of times and when it's time to get my underwear I am easi...

Being Honest

I love people.  I love having people over.  But since we moved into our wee house 6 years ago - I stopped having a lot of parties.  I shut down to having people over.  Was it pride? Probably some.  Was it embarrassment?  Maybe a little bit.  I live in a tiny house...but my real house is a 22,000 sq. foot warehouse in Mississauga that I visit occasionally.  We have had to sacrifice a lot to start our business and a big house was one of them.  I loved our older, larger houses....and I do like this house, it's just...well...small.  So last year I decided to get over my "small house shyness" and host a party.  I wanted to get to know the ladies that I see at my school lots and have built some cool friendships with.  Last years party was a Pajama Party theme. I sent out the invites and hoped for some cancellations as I couldn't nvision everyone fitting in my wee pad.  I was thrilled - to a degree, when 99% of the invites were a...